Keeping your cupboard organized is one mammoth task. Here are few tips that will help you maintain your closet for longer than usual.
- Use proper hangers to arrange your clothes. Using cloth hangers can save space and also enable easy access to all clothes. Use slim hangers to store everyday clothes like office and lounge wear. This will help save space. Use sturdy wooden hangers to hand jackets, suits and other expensive clothing.
- Place shoe boxes vertically to create tinier shelves to organize your small clothing.
- Use S-hooks to hang bags instead of stacking them in your shelf. This will help you choose a bag at one glance and with no mess.
- Keep season clothing like sweaters and jackets in a box and store them away in a separate shelf.
- Hang a mirror close to the cupboard. This will help you quickly select dresses to match the occasion by having a quick peek at what suits and doesn’t suit your look for the day.
- Arrange your clothes by variety. Stack all full-sleeved clothes together and categorize your clothes likewise.
- Keep your shoe rack mounted on the wall. This will give you more space on the floor and also makes it easy to clean.
- Make sure you frequently dispose items that you don’t use. This will create a lot of space and make way for new items that you buy.
Maintaining a clean cupboard can save you a lot of time, especially when you are in a hurry to leave and can’t choose what to wear. These tips will help you organize your closet and help you get ready faster.
The dining room is a place where the entire family meets and chats either after their long day at work or before they leave for their everyday jobs. This room acts as a unifying force that brings together the entire family, for however short or long the period maybe. Here are a few tips to make your dining room as interesting as possible.
- The dining table is the primary piece of furniture in the dining room. This has to be carefully selected so as to provide ample chairs for all members of the family. It should also make it easy to pass dishes around the table.
- The color of paint in the room is very crucial because it can play a major role in developing an appetite. Greens, Yellows, Oranges and Reds tend to make people happy and cheerful, thereby increasing their appetite. These colors also help in creating a lively atmosphere for dinner table conversations.
- Having a built-in cabinet to store cutlery can save space and also give a sophisticated look to your dining room.
- Ensure maximum lighting with large windows and light colored curtains. A well-lit dining room is sure to bring a majestic look.
- Keep the dining room monochromatic to make it look larger than it is. Use the same or shades of the same color to maintain uniformity and add style.
- Make sure all cloth materials used in the dining area are spill-proof. This will help in easy maintenance and saves time during cleaning.
- A round table creates a more intimate feeling during conversation than ones with corners. It makes all members feel included and welcomed.
- You could provide a beautiful view by having a door that opens to your garden from the dining hall.
These tips will help you design a dining room that increases appetite for food and good conversations. Have a nice meal and chat!
The balcony is the best place to relax during a cool evening or a lazy morning. But how to make it special for any time of the day and year? Here are a few tips.
- Make sure the materials in your balcony are adaptable to all seasons of the year. Some materials can withstand heat but not rain or vice versa. Choose materials that can adapt to all kinds of weather conditions.
- Plan a special lighting arrangement for evenings. Fairy lights can adorn the circumference of the balcony or a single lamp can create a nice mood for relaxing.
- Plan your balcony very meticulously. Since it is a very small area, planning becomes very important. Make sure the furniture or plants don’t make the place too cluttered.
- Arrange the plants along the edge of the balcony. This will leave room for walking around.
- Do not place more than three pieces of furniture in the balcony. These could be a reclining chair, a coffee table, a swing, or a combination of any of these.
- Add wind chimes to your balcony. Their melody will create a calm and soothing effect.
- Place only one or two flowering plants so that you can enjoy their fragrance to the fullest.
- Use hanging or suspended pots to save space on the floor. Make sure the hook or provision on the ceiling is strong enough to balance the weight of the plant.
These tips will help you design a beautiful, cozy balcony for you to relax and get away from the busy, bustling work life.
The living room is a very important room in your house, mainly so because you spend most of your time here and your guests will be seated here for the major part of their visit. So, it becomes necessary to design your living room in a way that will make you feel truly at home. Here are a few tips to help you do that.
- Using light colored furniture and drapes can make the room seem larger than it is and also keep the room bright.
- Make sure there are enough windows in the room to let in light and wind.
- Keep a cozy corner in your living room for activities like drinking tea, preferably by the window.
- Put a large coffee table in the center of the room to place snacks or even play games.
- Place a few accessories like flower vase or a painting to add character to the room. Make sure it suits the color of the paint and the lighting in the room.
- Follow a certain pattern in the colors, sizes and designs of cushions, drapes and other covers in the room. Use the same kind of cloth and design for all cushions and drapes to maintain uniformity.
- Make sure all seats are facing each other with no objects obstructing the view across the hall. This will help easy communication when people are seated around the room.
- If you have a large piece of furniture, push it against the wall so that it doesn’t look too big or occupy too much space.
- Be sure to place the television at a spot which is visible from the entire room. Arrange other furniture accordingly so that nobody will have to strain to watch TV.
- Place a pot of plant by the window. This will add charm to the room and elevate the good looks.
These tips will help you design a living room that will cradle you like a mother and serve as the most hospitable host for your guests.
Cleaning day at home is nothing less than a festival. It takes up the entire day and is very tiresome. Here are a few tips for you to make cleaning easy and less time-consuming.
- You can use a small paintbrush to clean tiny cracks or crevices of chandeliers, furniture, windows or any such areas which are otherwise impossible to reach. The soft bristles are perfect for dusting minute spaces and also delicate items such as porcelain or carved figurines.
- Removing stickers without a trace is a serious challenge. If you have removed as much of the sticker as possible, you can remove the rest with a little Ben Gay ointment and a blow dryer set on low heat. The same works on carpets also.
- To make the sink sparkle wipe a stainless steel sink with vinegar or a touch of oil on a cloth.
- Half a cup of pure lemon juice mixed with a cup of olive oil makes an excellent furniture polish, especially for hardwood furniture or floors.
- Toothpaste isn’t just for cavities. You can also use it as a great spot cleaner for marks on the floor and walls and for cleaning small pieces of jewelry and silver.
- The best way to dry curtains is to hang them outside, in a breezy place, away from direct sunlight so as to avoid bleaching. Letting curtains dry naturally in a hanging position allows the creases to fall out, and a quick iron afterwards will have them looking like new.
- While cleaning screens in electronic devices, it is safer to spray the cleaning liquid on the soft cloth and then use it on the screen instead of directly spraying it on the device.
- To clean wooden, glass and brass surfaces, use a mixture of baking soda, liquid soap and hot tap water. Shake well inside a spray bottle and use it on the surfaces to get sparkling results.
- Have you ever seen dust bunnies flying from your ceiling fan when you turn it on for the first time in weeks? You can get rid of those easily by placing an old pillowcase over one of the ceiling fan blades and slowly pulling off the pillowcase. The blades get dusted and the dust bunnies stay in the pillowcase, instead of parachuting to the floor.
- To remove stains on marble, sprinkle salt on a fresh cut lemon. Rub on the stain very lightly to avoid removing the polish on the surface. Wash off with soap and water.
We are living in a period where extensive environment conservation is required. The small steps that we take at home can go a long way in helping keep the planet clean and green. One of the most basic ways to begin is by sorting out the garbage and disposing them properly. Following are the various categories under which you can segregate and sort the garbage at your home.
- Save newspapers separately. Remove any glossy leaflets or inserts from them.
- Pamphlets, magazines, glossy papers, phone books, envelopes and paper used in packaging can be stored together.
- Make sure there are no materials other than paper. Remove any rubber bands or plastic wrappers.
- Store cardboards and other thick papers separately. They are of higher recycle value than other kinds of paper.
- Plastic goods are grading differently according to their quality. However, it is wise to store them according to according to variety.
- Plastic bottles of all sizes can be stored together. Store plastic cans, cartons and plastic bags separately without any overlapping.
- Glass materials are usually recycled according to their color. Even then, it is safe to separate bottles from tube lights, bulb, mirrors, and sheet glass.
- Aluminum, Steel and Copper
- Tin cans that contained food have to be rinsed and dried.
- Aluminum foil, copper and bronze articles can be stored together for recycling.
- In case computers and mobile phones are in working condition, they can be sold or donated. If they are not, most companies encourage customers to return their products to the manufacturer. Alternatively, you can also deposit it at a local recycling station. There are a number of recycling stations all over the country.
- It is advisable to dispose batteries at a Hazardous Waste Collection site.
Our responsibility doesn’t stop with segregating the garbage. We must also encourage people who collect garbage to dispose them in the same way. This small act by each one of us can save the planet a few more years.