Going green often doesn’t take too much effort. By following simple steps, you can contribute to the earth in big ways. Here are some such methods:
- Switch off lights and fans when not in use. Make sure all switches are off before you go to sleep. This can save hours of electricity from being wasted.
- Close the tap while brushing. It is said that leaving the tap open during the recommended two minutes of brushing can use up to 5 gallons of water every day.
- Take a bag along whenever you go to a shop. Shops charge you for every bag that you buy from them. Taking your own bag can save you money and also protect the environment.
- Encourage children to switch off computers and other video games devices after they have finished playing.
- Use public transport whenever possible. By driving your own vehicle, you are adding to the pollution in the atmosphere.
- Refrain from using vehicles if you have a short distance to cover. Walk that distance. It is also beneficial for your health.
- If you will be away from your computer for a long time, make sure you put it on sleep mode before you go. This will have save the energy consumed by the PC.
- Change the settings in your printer such that it prints on both sides of the paper. This helps to save a lot of paper.
- Other ways to save paper are reducing the margin and size of the font and images. An even better way would be to use soft copies instead of print outs.
- Use organic waste from the kitchen as compost for your garden.
These are only a drop from the ocean of easy ways to go green at home. But, every little step makes a big difference. Start small, today!