If you’re adding a room, renovating your house or even doing some major repair work, hiring a good contractor becomes very important. Identifying a good contractor is a task in itself. The following points will guide you to identify the right contractor for you.
- The first recommended step would be to check with friends and relatives to ask for contractors that they know and would recommend.
- If you are looking on your own, the first step would be to look at their history in the business – how long they’ve been in the industry, what projects have they handled, etc.
- The next important step would be to check for licensing and other qualifications.
- Once you shortlist a few contractors, ask for a quote and get bids.
- You could also talk to former clients and enquire about the quality of the construction and whether the contractor sticks to timelines.
- When you have decided the contractor to work with, decide and negotiate payment schedules.
- Get a written contract signed before the contractor begins work on your property. Be sure to detail every step of your project in the contract.
In this manner, you can easily identify the contractor who will meet all your needs the way you want. Don’t forget to note down your experience so that it can be useful to any of your friends when they need a contractor!